Why should I become a referee?
There are so many reasons to become a referee, they can include
• Earning money and working flexible hours
• Keeping active and getting fit
• Being involved in basketball (especially if you love the game)
• A better understanding of basketball and its rules
• Meeting new people, make new friends and share many great experiences
• Travel to tournaments, meet other referees from across Australia
• Improving your life skills (e.g. communication, independence, confidence, decision
making and awareness)
• Preparing you for the workforce and other jobs
How am I trained as a referee?
Basketball Illawarra has a referee development program that gives you:
• Face to face teaching of the basics how to be a referee
• Workbook for you to take home
• Mentor program where you gain practical on-court experience in a game as a referee with the help a mentor, usually someone around your age who will help you put into practise the skills of being a referee
• One-on-one professional referee coaching
• Assessments of your skills throughout the course
• Final written exam to demonstrate your knowledge of the basic rules
How much of my time will referee training involve?
The initial training takes around 4 hours and then we ask you to commit to a 4 – 6 week practical on-court training program, which is a few games a week.
What is the minimum age for a referee?
Usually we like referees to be in Year 7 or above but will take Year 6 students on a case-by-case basis.
How much does a referee get paid?
Basketball Referees get paid according to their accredited level and experience. Most high school aged referees earn more per game then working at McDonalds, for example.
How will I improve as a referee?
All Basketball Illawarra referees are coached and observed by referee coaches and senior referees who provide feedback and solutions to areas for improvement. Most referees improve through match experience which is gained each week by being faced with challenges that you learn to overcome. With this experience and knowledge come better opportunities to referee higher quality games and an increase in payrates. Any accreditation gained from refereeing at Basketball Illawarra is recognised across Australia.
For further information contact email@example.com or ring the Referee Program Manager on 42259999