Our Rookie Ball program was designed in the last 3 years and is a learn to play program, however it is not competition. It is targeted for kids aged 5 to 10 years of age. Kids aged 11 and over should check out the Hawks Nest Program.
The aim is to learn the game of basketball as well as the rules preparing the children for local competition. A coach is there to run, supervise and encourage the players to participate whilst learning the game on the move.
Teams are made up each week and score is not counted. Unlike Rookies, Rookie Ball has a payment and registration for the term where the players are given a reversible singlet to wear each week – $110 for new participants, $50 for returning participants (due to the number of weeks the program will run for).
We will be changing this Program for Term 2 2021 – New Participants on Friday’s, Returning Participant’s on Saturday’s!
What is the purpose of only New participants on Friday’s?
- Provide an opportunity for the players who have not done Rookie Ball before the opportunity to learn the game on the run. They do 15mins of skills and 2x 15min halves with a coach on court who coaches them the rules on the run whilst the players enjoy a game-like experience.
What is the purpose of only Returning participants on Saturday’s?
- Provide an opportunity for the players who have participated in Rookie Ball for multiple terms to become part of a team and experience what local competition is like. The aim is for the team to join local competition at the new local competition start date.
Due to our Junior Waratah League starting in April, Rookie Ball for returning participants will only be run on the following week’s in Term 2:
- Saturday 24th April, 10:15am-11:15am
- Saturday 15th May, 10:15am-11:15am
- Saturday 29th May, 10:15am-11:15am
- Saturday 5th June, 10:15am-11:15am
- Saturday 19th June, 10:15am-11:15am