NEW EXECUTIVE GENERAL MANAGER APPOINTED
The Board of the Illawarra Basketball Association Ltd is very pleased to announce the appointment of former NBL Illawarra Hawks veteran Oscar Forman as the Associations new Executive General Manager.
An experienced sports business leader, Oscar will succeed Kevin Marsh in the newly created role of Executive General Manager commencing in January 2022.
As well as being a 511 NBL game veteran, Forman brings extensive experience as a senior leader in the sporting industry, in particular national level basketball.
“Oscar’s NBL experience and sporting industry leadership will guide our Association on its new journey with the NBL1 east competition in 2022,” said President Sam Ackroyd. “NBL1 East is a bold declaration by our Association that the Illawarra Hawks are back and focused on restoring and nurturing player pathways from grassroots to the NBL and fostering a winning culture throughout the Association”.
“Among Oscar’s priorities are strengthening the links with the NBL Illawarra Hawks and securing sponsorship for the Association to help bear the financial burden of COVID impacts and the move into the NBL1 East competition” said Ackroyd.
As well as his extensive basketball experience, Forman will also rely on his UOW Business Degree to position the Association in meeting current and future business needs and challenges. These include an ageing facility, limited court and growth capacity at its current location and the impacts COVID has had on community sport, specifically lockdown interruptions and the abandoned local and representative seasons of 2020 & 2021.
“I’m thrilled about the opportunity to transition back into basketball and help steer the Association in the right direction. The Association is essential to the growth of juniors and the establishment of a pathway for young athletes is something that I personally have experienced and can help implement”.
“The launch of NBL1 East commencing in 2022 is an exciting prospect and a perfect chance for Illawarra juniors to be able to have a viable roadmap to guide them to achieve their goals,” said Forman.
Established in 1954, The Association exists to foster and grow basketball, with the aim of making it the sport of choice in the Illawarra, supporting community goals in providing health and lifestyle opportunities for all.
The Association is the 2nd largest regional NSW Association, with over 2000 members, providing local junior, senior and social competitions, as well as providing a strong elite representative program for all players. We also provide a range of development programs to cater for all ages.
It is a not-for-profit Association based in Gwynneville within the Beaton Park sporting precinct.
FORMAN’S NBL STATS HIGHLIGHTS
- Played 511 NBL games, 11th highest in NBL history
- 904 3-pointers ranks 13th in NBL history
- In his first season with the Hawks, he was named the NBL’s Most Improved Player.
- Led the NBL three-point shooting percentage in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- On 2 November 2014, Forman played his 400th NBL game, becoming just the 43rd player in NBL history to reach such a feat.
- On 11 February 2017, Forman helped the Hawks secure a playoff spot after equalling his career-high tally of eight threes and finishing with a team-high 26 points in a 106–79 win over the Brisbane Bullets. The Hawks went on to reach the NBL Grand Final series later that month, where they were defeated 3–0 by the Wildcats.
- On 28 December 2017, in a 106–102 win over the Cairns Taipans he became the 13th player to reach 500 NBL games.
- On 19 March 2018, following the 2017/18 season, Forman announced his retirement after 511 NBL games.